Monday, February 21, 2011

The Value of a Life

What does just one life mean to you? What if it was your life or someone that was close to you? It seems those that value life the most are those that have lost a family member or had a near death experience. I’ve lost family members but not my parents, spouse, or a child. And, other than one or two unfortunate driving experiences in Romania I haven’t had a near death experience. However, as an adoptee I guess there is a chance I could have had one 36 plus years ago. That is why if I were to meet my birth mom I would simply thank her. She gave me life, in more ways than one. I guess that is why a statistic I read on Romania yesterday morning while preparing to speak at a local church hit me between the eyes. Take a look:

“Statistically, Romania has the highest abortion rate in the world. Currently 3 out of 4 pregnancies are terminated with abortion. In Romania, a country with the population of 23 million, it is estimated that there are about 800,000 abortions a year and this is probably on the conservative side.” Silent Voices

I’m not exactly sure what year those figures were gathered. I would hope the statistics used by an organization on their website would be fairly accurate and current. What I do know is this created a stir in me to research more. In all honesty the numbers were all over the place, probably due in part to the difficulty and accuracy in reporting. Another report by Life International found that from 1990 to 2003, there were more abortions reported in Romania than live births.

I will admit the research could be a bit shady or skewed one way or another. However, that does not change the fact that this is an extreme issue. I don’t have all the answers. I’m not sure I have any. I am far from an expert that can determine the reasoning for this trend. The only thing I know I can do today is pray. Maybe tomorrow God will show me or you something we can do.

As David Platt said, “God blesses his people with extravagant grace so they might extend his extravagant glory to all peoples of the earth.” Thirty six year ago God blessed me. Now it is my turn to do something to bless the 800,000 potential ME’s.

Aspire to new heights.

No comments: