Sunday, September 26, 2010

Eleven is the magic number

I received wonderful news this past week from my good friend Ovidiu. After 10 failed attempts to secure a visa he finally received a travel visa that will allow him to visit the United States. Now I want you to take a few minutes to think about that. Ovidiu has been trying for 10 years to receive a visa.

Kacee and I just returned from a short family vacation. Over the past 10 years of marriage we’ve seen the world. We’ve been to Kenya, Guatemala, Romania, Italy, France, Hungary, Switzerland, Poland, Germany, Austria and many other countries. Not once did I even consider the value of my passport. Why should I? It only takes about 10 minutes to get one. I stop by Walgreen’s for a quick picture, fill out the application, and drop it in the mail. Within a month or so I’ve got my 10 year passport (even faster if I’m willing to pay the fee). How blessed we are to have an open invitation to see the world. How even more blessed we’ve been to have the resources to do so.

I’m thrilled beyond measure that Ovidiu and Adina will be visiting the US in December. I know they will be pulled a million different directions by those that have waited patiently for 10 years to have them visit. However, I know they will find some time while they are here to talk about the wonderful things they are doing in Romania. I’m honored to be working with them and I would love the opportunity to have them personally share with you their vision and passion for rural Romania. If you have any interest in visiting with them let me know.

The next time you jump in your car or board a plane to travel the country think about how fortunate we are to see the world. Then think about this world we have at our finger tips and how much they need us. You know with freedom comes responsibility. I hope you will join me in making the best of this opportunity. Aspire to new heights.

No comments: